FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 7, 2023
HELENA, Mont. – Montana Republican Party Chairman Don “K” Kaltschmidt issued the following statement after meritless accusations Attorney General Austin Knudsen was accused of violating rules of professional conduct:
“Montana Democrats are willing to pull any slimy tactic to advance their far-left agenda. The charges filed against Attorney General Knudsen are nothing more than a political stunt as we head into an election year,” Chairman Kaltschmidt said.
“Despite having the complaint for more than 2 years, the Office of Disciplinary Counsel (ODC) decided to proceed just days after Democrat Ben Alke notified lawyers around the state that he would be announcing his campaign for Attorney General this month. While Democrats obsess over playing political games, Montana Republicans will continue working for the people of Montana and keeping our state the Last Best Place.”
- The original complaint filed back in 2021 came from California lawyer Clara Ellen Roberts.
- Members of the Commission on Practice have made over 200 political contributions to Democrat and liberal judicial candidates totaling more than $50,000.
- Members of the Commission on Practice have made 39 political contributions, totaling $8,605 to current members of the Supreme Court.
- ODC Special Counsel Tim Strauch is a longtime Democrat donor and activist and is an active supporter of the Montana Supreme Court; he has contributed to 5 current members of the Court.
- Strauch has made 27 contributions totaling over $5,500 to Democrat and liberal judicial candidates.